Make, Bake, Grow, Sew - A Monthly Roundup July 2017


Homegrown Calendula

July has seen me finish at my job in preparation for a new one and have a few weeks off to spend some time with my family.  I have spent some of that time in Dorset, been on lots of play dates and even visited the Dinosaurs at Bristol Zoo.  There hasn’t been a huge amount of time for creative things but I have managed a little and thought I would recap it here.

Make
My favourite make this month was rhubarb cordial with my homegrown rhubarb.  I made this using the recipe from Katie at Lavender and Leeks and I blogged about it here.

Rhubarb Cordial
Bake
I have done a fair amount of savoury cooking this month including cooking a Middle Eastern mezze for a party of my friends.  However, beyond some meringues for puddings with friends I haven’t done much baking.  Meringues are perfect at this time of year paired with fresh summer fruits.  I shared my recipe last month, to see it click here.

Homemade Meringues
Sew
I have been busy designing, writing patterns and making samples for my forthcoming workshops at Millie Moon.  On 26 August I am teaching quilted cushion covers and on 23 September I am teaching an introduction to English paper piecing which will then be used to decorate a denim bag. I am also doing some secret gift sewing, which I will share later in the year and I have been enjoying a little hand sewing whilst on holiday.  I am hoping that my change in day job will not only give me more time with my little man but also a little more sewing time, so do watch this space.  When I left my last job my wonderful and generous colleagues gave me a voucher for a haberdashery.  I am very much looking forward to treating myself to some new fabrics soon – I just need to come up with a project to use them for.  I am thinking maybe a new quilt for myself!

English Paper Pieced Flower Appliqued onto Denim Bag
Grow
We saw the end of our new potato and spring cabbage harvests and the start of the raspberries, blueberries and courgettes.  The squash patch is growing so well and the garden is looking pretty good considering we only moved in during October 2015 and inherited a mess which required us to pretty much start from scratch.  I participated in the Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day so if you fancy at look at what has been blooming in July click here.

White Hydrangea
I hope you have a very creative August!  I am hoping to make some headway on re-covering the cushions from one of my Ercol chairs, finalizing my tutorials for the rest of 2017 and would love to make a start on some of the Christmas presents I am hoping to make this year.     

Comments