A Quilt is a Hug


Moda True Blue Jelly Roll Quilt
Recently my lovely Nan had a fall and broke her hip and elbow.  She is 88 and a fantastic inspiration.  At the moment she is in hospital and I decided to make her a quilt so she has a constant hug and something to brighten up her recovery. 

I wanted to make something very quickly so I turned to the jelly roll race concept.  A jelly roll is a pack of pre-cut quilting fabric.  It usually contains 40 strips each 2.5 inches x the width of the fabric.  I used a Moda True Blue jelly roll for my quilty hug. 

Basically, you take a jelly roll and sew all of the strips together and then fold in half and sew.  You repeat this until you have a finished quilt top.  After work last Wednesday I sewed the strips together, on Thursday I made the quilt top, on Friday I put the layers together, quilted it and added the binding, and then on Saturday I spent hours hand sewing the back of the binding. 

I am really pleased how quickly this came together and am glad to report that she loved it!

Comments