Beetroot Relish

Nanny Hall's Beetroot Relish


When I was a child one set of my grandparents had a big kitchen garden and the others had an allotment.  I have such fond memories of spending time with both of them harvesting veggies and sampling their homegrown goodies.  I am just starting to harvest my runner beans and they totally remind me of these wonderful childhood times. 

As you can imagine, both couples were also excellent at preserving and I vividly remember bramble jelly and strawberry jam.  My favourite, however, was a beetroot relish that my Welsh Nanny made every year.  To be honest I am not fond of beetroot, but when it is made into relish… oh my – totally delicious!

I was recently gifted a bag of beetroots by a neighbour and decided to make some relish.  It has become a regular make for me each summer and I often include a jar of it in the Christmas hampers that I make for family.  I thought today I would share the recipe and spread the love!


Nanny Hall’s Beetroot Relish
500g cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced
One large onion, peeled and sliced
½ tsp ground ginger
One tsp salt
250g soft brown sugar
300ml malt vinegar
750g cooked, diced beetroot.  To cook, simmer for one hour and de-skin whilst warm

Add your sliced apples and onions to a preserving pan with the ginger, salt, sugar and vinegar.  Slowly bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes to cook the onions and apples.  Add the beetroot and cook, uncovered, for around one hour until thickened. 

Meanwhile sterilize your jars and once finished add the hot chutney to the warmed jars.  Seal and store.  Use within one year and refrigerate after opening.  

If you can wait try to leave the jars to develop in flavour for a month before eating. 

Enjoy!

Comments